Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Aoshima Lamborghini Diablo GTR

Well it's been a month and the Diablo GTR is nearly finished. After the purple basecoat was applied, I applied the clear blue mid coat. I built up the coat in maybe 5-6 layers, trying to get full even coverage on the body and doors/engine cover. 



After a day or two I applied the clear coat. I used Gravity Colors 2K clear, and it sprayed beautifully. Really made the two part pearl paint 'pop'. 



After some partial assembly was completed I noticed there was a small crack in the paint on the roof. This probably happened when I was pressing the roof down on the spraycan, which is what I used to hold the car during spraying.



I had to sand it all down, mask off the rest of the car, and re-spray the primer, base coat, and mid coat and hope that it matched the rest of the car. One thing about this hobby is there are always guaranteed to be problems.


I also hand painted the black trim on the bumper and side panels with a mixture of Tamiya semi gloss black and titanium gold prior to the roof repair. After the roof was repaired I recoated the entire car in 2K clear for a second coat. 



After the clear cured I started final assembly, adding the headlight fixtures, rear wing, windows, exhaust, etc. I then ran in to another issue! I tried to sand some dust from the clear coat on the left side door and ended up sanding off too much, so I had to sand it all down, prime, applt the base coat and mid coat, etc. As a result I only have pictures of the nearly completed model without the left side door. That is the only part missing, so enjoy these for now. When the model finally has two doors I'll take some outdoor pics. 






No comments:

Post a Comment