Monday, February 12, 2018

Aoshima Lamborghini Diablo GTR

To continue the Lamborghini theme, here is my next project. The Lamborghini Diablo GTR. This is actually a commission build for a client who is a huge Lamborghini fan. I believe this kit is fairly new as there isn't much out there in terms of build reports and such, but I was able to find a 30 part Youtube tutorial of its sister kit, the Diablo GT. The two kits are very similar so I was able to learn quite a lot about the build.

I started by gluing all the major body components together. Here it is, ready for primer in my spray booth. The body will be painted in Lamborghini Monterey Blue which is a light metallic blue. This color is currently being prepared for me by Gravity Colors. I also plan to use their 2K clear. 



The engine has been assembled, airbrushed with Tamiya LP-5 semi gloss black, then airbrushed with Alclad Aluminum and Alclad Pale Gold for the valve covers. I also used a Molotow chrome marker to pick out the details on the valve covers.



This is my first time using Tamiyas new bottled lacquer paints. The paint smells AWFUL, and yes I do wear a respirator while spraying, but the paint came out beautifully. I thinned it with lacquer thinner at a 1:1 ratio. You can't really see the color too well since this was lit by my spraybooths LED lights, but it looks pretty good. I also painted the other chassis components with this color but wasn't able to photograph them all at once.



No comments:

Post a Comment